Universal Church of Miracle Enlightenment
Manual for Teachers 29. As For The Rest . . .
1. This manual is not intended to answer all questions that both teacher and pupil may raise. In fact, it covers only a few of the more obvious ones in terms of a brief summary of some of the major concepts in the text and workbook. It is not a substitute for either one, but merely a supplement. While it is called a manual for teachers, it must be remembered that only time divides teacher and pupil, so that the difference is temporary by definition. In some cases, it may be helpful for the pupil to read the manual first. Others might do better to begin with the workbook. Still others may need to start at the more abstract level of the text.
2. Which is for which? Who would profit more from prayers alone? Who needs but a smile, being as yet unready for more? No one should attempt to answer these questions alone. Surely no teacher of God has come this far without realizing that. The curriculum is highly individualized, and all aspects are under the Holy Spirit’s particular care and guidance. Ask and He will answer. The responsibility is His, and He alone is fit to assume it. To do so is His function. To refer the questions to Him is yours. Would you want to be responsible for decisions about which you understand so little? Be glad you have a Teacher Who cannot make a mistake. His answers are always right. Yet would you, could you, say that of yours?
3. There is another advantage – and a very important one – in referring decisions to the Holy Spirit with increasing frequency. Perhaps you have not thought of this aspect, but its centrality is obvious. To follow the Holy Spirit’s guidance is to let yourself be absolved of guilt. It is the essence of the Atonement. It is the core of the curriculum. The imagined usurping of functions which are not your own is the basis of fear. The whole world you see reflects the illusion that you have done so, making fear inevitable. To return the function to the One to Whom it belongs is thus the escape from fear. And it is this that lets the memory of love return to you. Do not think that following the Holy Spirit’s guidance is necessary merely because of your own inadequacies. In fact, it is the way out of hell for you!
4. Here again is the paradox often referred to in the course. To say, “Of myself I can do nothing” is to gain all power. And yet it is but a seeming paradox. As God created you, you have all power. It is the image (ego) you made of yourself that has no power! The Holy Spirit knows the truth about you. The image (ego) that you made does not. Yet, despite its obvious and complete ignorance, the ego assumes it knows all things because you have given that belief to it. Such is your teaching, and the teaching of the world that was made to uphold it. But the Teacher Who knows the truth has not forgotten it. His decisions bring benefit to all, being wholly devoid of attack. Thus, they are incapable of arousing guilt.
5. He who assumes a power that he does not possess is deceiving himself. Yet to accept the power given him by God is but to acknowledge his Creator and accept His gifts. And His gifts have no limit. To ask the Holy Spirit to decide for you is simply to accept your true inheritance. Does this mean that you cannot say anything without consulting Him? No, indeed! That would hardly be practical, and it is the practical with which this course is most concerned. If you have made it a habit to ask for help when and where you can, you can be confident that wisdom will be given you when you need it. Prepare for this each morning, remember God when you can throughout the day, ask the Holy Spirit’s help when it is feasible to do so, and thank Him for His guidance at night. And your confidence will be well placed and well founded indeed.
6. Always remember that the Holy Spirit does not depend on your words. He understands the requests of your heart, and He answers them. Does this mean that, while attack remains attractive to you, He will respond with evil? Hardly! For God has given the Holy Spirit the power to translate your prayers of the heart into His language. (And in any interaction with your brothers, he will translate it for you as well.) He understands that an attack is a call for help. And He responds with help accordingly. God would be cruel if He let your words replace His Own. A loving father does not let his child harm himself, or choose his own destruction. The child may ask for injury, but his father will protect him still. And how much more than this does your Father love His Son? His Love is PERFECT before all.
7. Remember you are His completion and His Love. Remember your weakness is His strength. But do not read this hastily or wrongly. If His strength is in you, what you perceive as your weakness is but illusion. And He has given you the means to prove that this is so. Ask all things of His Teacher, and all things are given you. Not in the future but immediately: NOW. God does not wait, for waiting implies time and He is timeless. Forget your foolish images, your sense of frailty and your fear of harm, your dreams of danger and selected “wrongs.” God knows but His Son, and as he was created so he is. In confidence Jesus places you in His Hands, and he give thanks for you that this is so.
And now in all your doings be you blessed.
God turns to you for help to save the world.
Teacher of God, His thanks He offers you.
And all the world stands silent in the grace
You bring from Him. You are the Son He loves.
And it is given you to be the means
Through which His Voice is heard around the world,
To close all things of time, to end the sight
Of all things visible, and to undo
All things that change. Through you is ushered in
A world unseen, unheard, yet truly there.
Holy are you, and in your light the world
Reflects your holiness, for you are not
Alone and friendless. Jesus gives thanks for you,
And joins your efforts on behalf of God,
Knowing they are on his behalf as well,
And for all those who walk to God with him.